Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Groundhog's Day

No, I haven't lost my mind...I know that Groundhog's Day is in February and not early summer. However, I'm sure that everyone who reads this post has seen the movie Groundhog's Day. The movie features Bill Murray and he is stuck in some sort of time warp where each day when he wakes up he has already lived that day numerous times in the past...the day he keeps reliving is Groundhog's Day.

My mother-in-law e-mailed me yesterday and after some updates on the kids she wrote that I must be busy because I had not updated my blog since May. I thought, surely that isn't so...then I logged on here tonight and she was absolutely right. This gets me back to my initial point, I feel as if I'm living the same day over and over.

As you all know, I work as a contracting officer here at Bagram. Last week our section commander decided to hone everyone's contracts down a bit in order to allow us to focus our attention on one or two major items. I was given charge of all vehicles and heavy equipment leases in the office. One would assume that there can't be many vehicles on an Army Airfield in the middle of Afghanistan...well, one would be wrong. I assumed that the heavy equipment would be the headache, but the vehicles definitely take the cake.

So, day in and day out I'm doing much the same thing. I'll write a contract for a truck or a forklift or something similar to that, I'll award the contract and notify the winning bidder, the I file everything in just the right way. Yesterday I was able to award a porta-pottie contract...I actually got excited because it was something a little bit different. Looks like I might get to award a legal/cultural advisor contract tomorrow...woohoo!

When we first got here our days were a little staggered, we had a little change occuring each day with new Soldiers coming and old Soldiers leaving. For the past two to three weeks it's been quite monotonous. We get to work just before 9:00 a.m. and we are now required to stay at work until 10:00 p.m., which makes for a long day. I know that we are busier since the surge is in full swing and the 101st is getting here right now, but wow, you can really write a lot of contracts in 13 hours. Don't think I'm down and/or complaining, I'm really upbeat and doing my best to stay positive and keep others positive.

I can see why these people fight all the time...it gives them something to do. Just kidding with the last comment, most of the people I've met here (and I've met a bunch) are similar to Americans in that they want to make enough money to feed the family, enjoy peace, and be left alone. It's true that a rotten apple will spoil the whole bushel though. After an attack you look at each individual with the question in your mind..."I wonder if he had anything to do with what happened?" It makes you quite suspicious and untrusting; typically I'm a trusting person stateside, not so much here though.

I'll do my best to keep you all posted on the happenings around Bagram, but I won't bore you with daily or even bi-daily posts if nothing is going on. God bless!

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I feel the same way except my days are filled with feedings, dirty diapers and crying babies ;-)

    ReplyDelete