Thursday, April 1, 2010

...leavin' on a jetplane...

I'll give you a few acronyms for tonight's read since I'll likely be speaking in 100% acronyms in the next few months...this should help!

"Household 6" = On a military radio the #6 refers to the commander. Household 6 is the wife, or the house commander.
"Pop Smoke" = This is what Soldiers do when they need to move under concealment; they literally pop a smoke grenade or pop smoke.
"R2" = This stands for Rich Richardson, my partner in crime out here in California...got the acronym from his wife.


So...I really thought about pulling a good April Fool's joke and saying something like "it turns out our country doesn't need us in Afghanistan"...but I thought better because that could've gotten me in some hot water with the Household 6.

It's 10:00 p.m. here on the left coast and I'm finally beginning to pack my bags for the flight home! R2 and I are working about a half day tomorrow before we pop smoke, or make our exit for the civilians reading this. Although we're less than 150 miles from Las Vegas we have learned that it can routinely take upwards of 4 hours to get there from Barstow...traffic really backs up late Friday headed west on I-15. Our plan is to enjoy the sites of Las Vegas tomorrow night before an early morning flight on Saturday.

Hard to believe we've only been here for 2 weeks, but with a deployment lurking right around the corner it seems much longer and we're both ready to be at home spending time with family. Overall we've had a good time; we have learned some valuable lessons in contracting while we've been here and look forward to what lies ahead...at this point we're just ready to get this deployment started.

1 comment:

  1. Uh, yeah... your proposed April Fools joke would created a flurry here in R2's Household 6!

    You guys hurry up and get home!!!

    ReplyDelete